lördag 1 december 2012

The Humane Society : Knock, Knock (1967)






The Humane Society: Knock, Knock / Tip Toe Thru The Tulips
Liberty 55968 Apr '67
(Simi Valley, CA)

This song is downright scary. It might've been less scary if it was about drugs or shadows or unicorns, I dunno.
But the story seems to tell about a late-night caller, knocking on his ex-girlfriends door. 

"Who's there?" she asks.
"It's me. And I just wanna be near."

That might be nice if it wasn't for the fact that she has cast him out "like a dog in the rain" and he's about to tell her what he feels about the situation - in a very Norman Bates-y fashion..

"you know what's going on in this whirling, swirling brain..knock, knock..." he explains thru his tight lips.

And the band start speeding up the song, underlining the intensity of the drama.
You get the feeling he slams the door behind him.

The second verse continues with ominous lines of him "whirling swirling in a world of grief and sin" and that "if you come back - I know I'll die".

What the hell is going on in that apartment?

The band speeds up again (which pretty much functions as the chorus) and our protagonist shouts out in the air "KNOCK, KNOCK! WHO'S THEEERE? WHO'S THEEERE!?"

I think I'll just let you use your own imagination.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar